If you are getting older, many changes happen in your body. One of these changes is your vaginal walls can dry out, which can make sex very painful. When you go through menopause, your estrogen levels drop, and sometimes, they drop drastically. This is the main cause of vaginal dryness as estrogen is needed to keep you lubricated. Keep reading to learn two tips on how you can take care of this problem.

Vaginal Moisturizers

One thing you can try is using moisturizers or lubrication while you are having sex. If you are not extremely dry, this can help you. You can purchase lubrication at most drug stores, or you can get it online. 

There are lubrications that are specially made to treat this problem, or you can try a natural lubrication to help you. In some cases, applying it to yourself and your sexual partner will help you feel even better. You will have to make sure you clean yourself well after having sex as the lubrication could cause problems, such as irritation. 

Vaginal Estrogen

If you continue to hurt while having sex, it is time to see your OB/GYN. This doctor can help you feel better. This is especially true if you bleed after you have sex, have very painful irritation while urinating, and continue to hurt the next day.

The doctor will first examine you to make sure you are dry. The OB/GYN may do a blood test to help them determine your estrogen levels. 

Once they do this, they can prescribe you a vaginal estrogen cream that you will insert into your vagina. At first, you will do this for 10 to 14 days straight and then about twice a week. This works very well, and you should then no longer feel pain. There are also pills that can insert into your vagina if you do not like creams, or there is a device the doctor can place inside your vagina that will release estrogen slowly. This way, you will not have to worry about doing this on your own each week. 

Estrogen therapy can be dangerous for a woman as it can cause them to develop cancer. This is why using vaginal estrogen is much better than taking oral estrogen. The estrogen is concentrated in your vaginal area and very little gets into your bloodstream.

Talk with your OB/GYN, and they can give you much more information.